If you receive an iTunes gift via email, but don’t want to open iTunes, do the following to redeem the gift in a different program (e.g. App Store or iBooks):
- Open the email with the iTunes gift
- Right Click on the "Redeem Now" button and copy the link. The menu option is usually called something like "Copy Link" or "Copy Link Address…"
- In a text editor paste the link. The link should look something like
- The gift card code (same as scratching off a physical gift card) is the text between "code=" and "&mt". In this example it is
XABCD1234ABCD12X (not a real gift card code)
- Paste or type this code into the Redeem page of any of Apples app stores
Recently, I received an offer from American Express, where I would receive a statement credit if I used my card on iTunes. Unfortunately, I already had a gift balance on my Apple ID and didn’t expect I’d spend it before the promotion expired.
I used the following steps to charge my card immediately and just add to my account balance:
- In iTunes, go to the Store menu -> View account (appleID@email.com)…
- Edit your payment details to the credit card with the promotion.
- Click the home (icon) button near.
- Under Quick Links on the right hand side of the window, select Send iTunes Gifts.
- Enter your own email address, select an amount that qualifies for the promotion, and click Next.
- Pick a design and click Next.
- Click Buy Gift to charge your credit card.
- Look at your email for an iTunes Gift card you can add to your account balance.
- Switch your credit card back to your original card.
Note: I’m not sure why it isn’t possible to buy/send gifts from the Mac App Store. As far as I know, you have to use iTunes.