Steve Gibson described how he uses an espresso machine to make a “perfect” cup of coffee in Episode 422 of Security Now!. For those of us without espresso machines, I’ve modified the recipe to use an Aerobie AeroPress. This method minimizes oxidation of the coffee.
What you need:
- (recommended) Stainless Steel Filter
- 16oz Coffee Cup/Mug
- Fine Ground Coffee (I ask Starbucks for a flat bottom drip grind)
- 16oz filtered water
- Put 2 AeroPress scoops of coffee (approximately 4 tbsp.) into the AeroPress.
- Heat 16 oz water to 195° F. If you don’t have a precise heater, bring the water to a boil and let it sit for 30 seconds (ref Peet’s).
- Pour approximately 4oz water into your cup.
- Place the AeroPress on your cup, and fill to #4.
- Use the AeroPress stirrer to stir the coffee 30 times.
- Re-fill the water back to the #4
- Use the AeroPress plunger to press the water through the AeroPress.
- Pour any remaining water into your cup.
- Enjoy your coffee.